The most popular routes for migration to Northern Cyprus in 2023 are:
High Income residence permit for renting real estate in Northern Cyprus
One of the easiest ways to obtain a residence permit in TRNC is to rent a property and confirm your financial status. With USD 10,000-20,000 per adult, obtaining a High Income residence permit in Northern Cyprus is not difficult. The following program requirements shall apply:
- Proof of a monthly income source from another country, not less than 3 x the local average monthly wage. In 2023, the minimum requirement per month is TL 36,000.
- A long-term lease agreement for accommodation in the country which has been registered with the tax office (the rental cost is not important, the registration fee for the rental contract is approximately TL 250). The property owner needs to pay a rental tax of 13% if the contract is in USD, EUR, or GBP, or 8% if it is in TL.
- Obtain a certificate from the village headman (muhtar), which costs approximately TL 20 per person.
- Lodge between USD 10,000 to 15,000 per adult in a local bank and obtain a certificate indicating the deposit and account balance.
- Have foreign documents translated and certified by a notary public.
- Register on the official website.
- Provide documentation at Police Station (separate documents for each applicant).
- Payment and attendance for medical exams and insurance
- Online issue of permit
Residence permit by purchasing real estate in TRNC.
The second most popular and simplistic way to obtain a residence permit in Northern Cyprus quickly is by purchasing real estate. The procedure is the same as for permit for rental except that a certificate of no criminal record MUST be provided. The initial permit is for one year and can then be extended immediately for three years. Spouses and children under 18 automatically receive a residence permit for the same property (family residence permit).
TRNC residence permit for employment in TRNC
To work in Northern Cyprus, you need to obtain a work visa with the consent of the Ministry of Labour and Social Security. You can only be employed by the company specified in the work permit application. The Employer or Company then applies for a residence permit on behalf of the employee. The application for a residence permit through employment takes about four months to process and is valid for one year.
Entrepreneur’s residence permit in TRNC – this allows investors and entrepreneurs to obtain a residence permit through an accelerated program, subject to the following procedures:
- Obtain a 30-day visa upon entry, providing proof of financial solvency.
- Apply to the commercial department and obtain a certificate giving the right to open a business in the country.
- Register with tax and immigration services.
- Open a bank account and deposit a minimum of USD 100,000 as the authorized capital. The bank provides a letter to the Registration Chamber as evidence that the requirement is met.
- Establish a local Company with minimum of 2 shareholders and 1 director.
- Establish a local office in Northern Cyprus.
- Provide guarantee letter from foreign directors regarding compliance with tax obligations.
- Release of authorised capital
Note: Northern Cyprus has a favourable tax policy. The average VAT rate is 5%, and the stamp duty is 0.5%. Restrictions for foreign investors only apply to the construction industry, where foreign ownership of not more than 49% of company shares is allowed.
The duration of the entrepreneur’s residence permit in Northern Cyprus is 12 months, with an annual extension in the future.